Introduction to Modern Product Discovery by Teresa Torres
Notes on an insightful presentation by Teresa Torres about product discovery.
Deciding what to build.
Goal: Learn fast.
From output to outcomes…
- Are we meeting stakeholder needs? (Agile)
- Can customers use it? (UX Design, Design Thinking)
- Do customers want our solution? (Lean Startup, MVPs, Build-Measure-Learn)
- Are we solving a problem customers care about? (JTBD)
- Are we driving a desired outcome? (Opportunity Solution Tree)
Goal: Ship fast.
From slower to faster…
- Annual releases.
- Quarterly releases.
- Monthly releases.
- Weekly releases.
- Daily releases.
- Continuous integration.
The Opportunity Solution Tree
- Define a clear desired outcome.
- Discover opportunities to drive that desired outcome.
- Discover solutions that deliver on those opportunities.
Continuous Product Discovery
The guidelines are…
- Smaller pieces of research.
- Conducted every week.
- Make product decisions on sets of signals.
- Connects dots between discovering opportunities as well as discovering solutions.
Ericsson’s view on Mental Representations
Better mental representations set experts apart from novices.
Mental representations help us with…
- understanding and interpreting info
- holding info in memory
- organizing info
- analyzing info
- making decisions with info